It’s much easier than you think, to brine your own, home-made olives!
Τhe ratio is based on 10 kg of olives.
- Engrave the olives along their length on two or three sides.
- Put them in a big pot, cover them with water and leave them for 10-15 days.
- Change the water every 3 days.
- After taking out the olives, put them in a bowl with coarse salt for 24 hours.
- Put them in a plastic container and for every 10kg of olives add 2kg of vinegar and 250gr of olive oil.
- If they haven’t all been covered with vinegar and olive oil, add water to coat them if needed. Leave them permanently in the container.
Day by day the difference in the taste will be noticeable.
The brine in which the olives are maintained is a good source of polyphenols, so don’t through it. It can be used in marinades, as a broth for cooked meat or in lemon and vinegar for salads.
It is known that all the olives are good sources of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and vitamins A and E.